Building unKoothed: Why I’m Creating a Brand That Refuses to Fit the Mold

There is no shortage of brands telling people who they should be.

Dress this way. Think this way. Talk this way. Follow the formula. Stay polished. Stay predictable. Stay inside the lines.

unKoothed was created around a different idea.

You don’t have to fit neatly into somebody else’s definition of who you’re supposed to be.

I founded unKoothed because I wanted to build something with personality. Something that could move between media, clothing, writing, music, humor, leadership and culture without having to pretend those things belong in separate boxes.

The name itself represents that philosophy.

Being unKoothed doesn’t mean being careless. It doesn’t mean lacking ambition, discipline or direction.

It means refusing to sand every rough edge off yourself just because the world finds polished people easier to categorize.

There is value in being unconventional.

There is value in curiosity.

There is value in building something before everyone else understands what you’re building.

More Than a Clothing Brand

One of the easiest mistakes when starting something new is trying to define it too quickly.

People naturally want a category.

Is unKoothed an apparel company?

A media brand?

A creative project?

A publishing platform?

A lifestyle brand?

The answer is that it has the potential to become pieces of all of them.

I’m interested in building an ecosystem rather than a single product.

Clothing can communicate an idea without saying a word. Writing can explore that idea. Music can make someone feel it. Video can turn it into a story. Community can turn the story into something bigger than the person who originally created it.

That intersection is where unKoothed belongs.

The common thread isn’t the format.

It’s the perspective.

Build Something With a Point of View

I believe the strongest brands have something to say.

They aren’t created simply because somebody found an available logo and figured out how to print it on a shirt.

They have an identity.

You should be able to look at something and recognize the attitude behind it before you ever see the name.

That is one of my goals with unKoothed.

Whether it eventually appears on a shirt, in an article, through a song, in a video or somewhere I haven’t thought of yet, it should feel like it came from the same world.

Independent.

Direct.

Creative.

A little unpredictable.

And unmistakably human.

Leadership Without the Performance

Leadership is another subject I expect to explore heavily through my writing.

I’m fascinated by what separates people who simply hold authority from people others genuinely want to follow.

Titles are easy.

Leadership is harder.

It shows up in the decisions nobody applauds, the way you treat people who can do nothing for you, and whether your principles survive when following them becomes inconvenient.

I don’t believe leadership requires pretending to have every answer.

In many cases, the strongest person in the room is the one willing to say, “I don’t know yet, but I’ll figure it out.”

That mentality applies to entrepreneurship too.

Building something means accepting that you will occasionally get things wrong.

You experiment.

You adjust.

You learn.

Then you keep moving.

Why I’m Writing

This publication will be part of that process.

I’ll be writing about business, leadership, culture, creativity, branding and the process of turning an idea into something tangible.

Some articles will be serious.

Some probably won’t be.

That’s intentional.

I have never been particularly interested in building something so polished that it loses its personality.

There are already enough corporate mission statements in the world that sound like they were written by the same committee.

I’d rather build something people actually remember.

And I’d rather document the process while it’s happening than wait until everything is finished and pretend there was always a perfect plan.

There wasn’t.

There usually isn’t.

Most interesting things start with somebody looking at an idea that barely exists yet and deciding to build it anyway.

What Comes Next

unKoothed is still being built.

That’s part of what makes this stage interesting.

There will be new ideas, experiments, designs, stories and probably a few concepts that make absolutely no sense until they suddenly do.

That uncertainty doesn’t bother me.

I think there is something powerful about creating without needing permission to know exactly what the finished product will become.

The objective is simple:

Build something original.

Build it deliberately.

Keep enough rough edges that it still feels alive.

And see how far the idea can go.

Joshua Koot
Founder & CEO, unKoothed


Comments